Emerald Coast Drifters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SR20 lost compression

3 posters

Go down

SR20 lost compression Empty SR20 lost compression

Post  OneForTheMoney Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm

I have recently bought an AE86 coupe from a guy in panama city who in turn bought it from someone in pensacola. Shortly after it was getting harder and harder to start when i realized i am going to do a compression check. (From the front to back) 155,130,150,25 PSI. Obviously 25psi is the *something is fucked up* sign. So now I am clueless in which route to go. in about a month i should have 3k saved up but can i make it a month by bumming rides.... I would like some opinions, facts, thoughts, ideas. Maybe someone has another block just chillin, maybe someone has an engine hoist and a engine stand i could rent from them.
OneForTheMoney
OneForTheMoney

Back to top Go down

SR20 lost compression Empty one last step i think

Post  OneForTheMoney Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:51 pm

ok so i have been on the internet looking up anything and everything. I think there would be one last step for me to take to determine where the loss of compression is located. I am going to put a little oil down the spark plug hole later today and then do another compression check. hopefully that determines whether or not its the block or head thats messed up.
OneForTheMoney
OneForTheMoney

Back to top Go down

SR20 lost compression Empty Re: SR20 lost compression

Post  240LSX Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Leak down test

240LSX

Back to top Go down

Post  jhicks Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 am

That car was built in panama city. The original builder did a compression and leakdown test on it before it was sold to the guy you bought it from and it was fine. Try a different compression tester if you can get one, make sure the head is really clean when you do. One piece of sand between the tester's o-ring and the head will mess up the reading, Ive seen it happen. Worst case scenario is you have solid proof its bad. More than likely the ringlands broke (weak link on sr if you're new to them) which means it will need new, oversized pisons and block work. Luckily for you that car has an s13 front crossmember and the body harness has been modified so s13 engine harnesses plug right in. That car has had 2 ka's, a ca, and that sr. If that engine is indeed bad, you can find a ka to throw in it in the meantime. The car was always hard to start but that was due to it having low voltage at the starter. It needs a proper battery cable ran to the trunk, I believe it has 4 gauge stereo wire right now.

jhicks

Back to top Go down

Post  OneForTheMoney Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:04 am

I got a deal on an sr and trans from a buddy who bought it and decided to go another route. He said its still in the crate. It should be here wednsday so I plan to swap out the old with the new come this weekend. I plan on doing this at the auto hobby shop at Corey station in Pensacola. But if anyone is able to lend a few "know how" hands that would be greatly appreciated. So hopefully all of this can be done within a day.
OneForTheMoney
OneForTheMoney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum